African Persepectives Conference +12
African Perspectives on Planning, Design and Construction for Inclusive, Fair and Sustainable Urbanisation
The Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment of the TU Delft (Bouwkunde) has a vision for strengthening ties with researchers, practitioners, policy-makers and citizens in the African continent. Bouwkunde wishes to have a positive impact on African’s rapid urbanisation in the next decades. While the main responsibility for the destiny of African cities lies with African citizens, governments and institutions, we believe that universities everywhere have a role to play in helping educate the next generation of architects, planners, urban designers and the construction sector with a global perspective. We wish to reach out to higher education institutes, governments, businesses and citizens to become partners in promoting sustainable, inclusive and fair urbanisation in Africa within the framework of the New Urban Agenda, adopted at Habitat III in Quito 2016.
In December 2007, Bouwkunde organised the momentous African Perspectives conference. More than 12 years afterwards, we wish to build upon the legacy of that conference, reinvigorate the discussion and attract new voices to the dialogue.
Contributions from Research and Academia
Call for papers, panel discussions and round tables
This part of the conference is divided in a number of tracks that address specific issues.
- Decolonizing architectural education for practitioners in Africa: Creating capacity for research, education and practice
- Planned urbanisation in Africa: New cities, towns, and urban extensions
- Governance, land issues and participation in African communities
- Informal urbanisation: How Africa is addressing its slums
- Rural building solutions in Africa
- Climate adaptation and resilience for building in Africa
- Methods and Theories for reading and understanding African cities
- Cities of Coming and Going
For more information, and details about how to contribute to the conference, please visit the conference website.
- Bouwkunde, TU Delft