IHE Delft SIDS Fellowships
The IHE Delft SIDS programme is a unique fellowship programme aimed at water professionals from small island developing states. Fellowships are available for MSc Programmes starting in 2020 and 2021. Candidates apply for academic admission before 15 June 2020.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands has made available a total of 24 fellowships for MSc Programmes at IHE Delft starting in 2020 and 2021.
To increase the relevance for SIDS specific challenges, and to stimulate cooperation between professionals from the different disciplines offered by IHE Delft, the scholarship students will participate in a number of additional SIDS-dedicated activities.
To further strengthen networks of SIDS water professionals, the Ministry will also support three workshops to be organised in SIDS regions, with 20 fellowships each.
- Candidates are a national of and work and/or live in one of the eligible ODA SIDS countries (see below)
- Academic admission (see ''admission requirements'' at our FAQ) to Delft-based IHE Delft MSc Programmes, starting in October 2020
- Application for admission submitted before 15 June 2020
- 'Letter of Motivation and Vision on the main water-related challenges to achieve the SDGs in the Applicant’s Country’ submitted at application for admission (template)
SIDS fellowships will be provided to candidates who are a national of, and work and/or live in, one of the following eligible ODA SIDS countries:
- The AIMS (Africa, Indian Ocean, Mediterranean and South China Sea): Cabo Verde, Comoros, Guinea-Bissau, Maldives, Mauritius, Sao Tome & Principe.
- The Caribbean: Antigua and Barbuda, Belize, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, Suriname.
- The Pacific: Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Federated State of Micronesia, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu.
SIDS fellowship covers
The fellowship covers:
- total tuition fee for the MSc programme
- health insurance, cost of visa/residence permit for the Netherlands and a monthly allowance of EUR 970 per month from the start till the end date to the programme (not exceeding 18 months)
- one return plane ticket (economy class) from candidate’s home country to and from the Netherlands.
Depending on the research topic of the candidate, a limited amount of financial support may be provided for field data collection during the MSc research phase.
How to apply
Interested candidates from eligible ODA SIDS countries (see eligibility), who meet IHE’s admission criteria, are advised to apply for admission and fellowship as soon as possible. You can apply online, via the education section of the IHE website. Please note that only Delft-based MSc specializations are eligible to apply for the SIDS fellowships.