Launch of the AfriAlliance Action Groups
14 September 2016
AfriAlliance has selected the first 5 Action Groups that will begin their activities this month. The Action Groups that have been chosen are the top 5 out of the 125 applications that had been received. These Action Groups will address specific, demand-driven issues with innovative approaches and knowledge co-creation in the field of water and climate. They consist of diversified sets of members, including both European and African members in each group. Their specific aims, innovative and relevant activities and suitable communication and dissemination efforts have set them apart from the other applicants and promise to deliver concrete impacts.
AfriAlliance is proud to launch the following Action Groups:
- Upscaling potential of water harvesting across Africa. Lead by: Wageningen University (Netherlands)
- Integrated Water Resource Management and Ethics. Lead by: Rhodes University (South Africa)
- Efficient and Innovative Small Scale Irrigation. Lead by: The Ethiopian Institute of Water Resources (EIWR), Addis (Ethiopia)
- A4A (Arid African Alluvial Aquifers for Agriculture). Lead by: Mekelle University (Ethiopia)
- SIRAF (Sustainable Intensification for Resilience and Food Security). Lead by: IIED (International Institute for Environment and Development) (United Kingdom)
The Action Groups were formed in a bottom-up and demand driven fashion and were free to propose relevant activities in one of the following main themes:
- Integrated Water Resource Management
- Food Security / Agriculture
- Human Capacity Development
- Climate Change Adaptation & Mitigation
- Water and Climate Data Monitoring, Collection, Forecasting & Analysis
Four (4) of the five (5) Action Groups chose to develop their activities within the theme of Food Security /Agriculture.
If you would like to obtain more information regarding the Action Groups, please follow their activities on the AfriAlliance platform www.afrialliance.org!