Blog: AfriAlliance MOOC – Calls for Action
AfriAlliance had launched its first MOOC “Water and Climate Change in Africa” on 5 May 2019. Having attracted around 600 participants, the MOOC has been a great success so far!
Participants were guided through the online course with the help of videos, quizzes and text references, covering 4 topics:
- Module 1: Climate change in Africa: is it real?
- Module 2: Climate change implications for water resources and water users in Africa
- Module 3: The policies and politics of climate change adaptation in Africa
- Module 4: Coping with water challenges related to climate change in Africa: is it time for action?
Additionally, many participants interacted via the online MOOC forums, exchanging ideas with other participants from all over the world.
In module 4, “Coping with water challenges related to climate change in Africa: is it time for action?”, the participants had to develop a Call for Action on climate change that addressed one of the challenges they had studied in the previous modules and ideally focused on their own region. In order to do so, it was suggested to rely on material developed by AfriAlliance by exploring the AfriAlliance project website.
Many great submissions were made – here we feature five of them:
- Education as a tool for reducing the impact of CC in the water sector by Gustavo Alvarado
- Increasing smallholder farmers’ participation in scientific research on adaptation strategies: Citizen Science by Grace Mudombi-Rusinamhodzi
- Call for Action on Adaptation to Water Scarcity in Egypt by Mahmoud Abdelrahman
- Call for Activities on Policy for Capacity Building: Awareness and Understanding of Climate Change In Ethiopia by Edgardo Santos
- Call for action on flood management in the city of Cotonou (Benin) by François Talomonwo Ouinsou
- Education as a tool for reducing the impact of Climate Change in the water sector.pdf (PDF, 394.21 KB)
- Increasing smallholder farmers' participation in scientific research on adaptation strategies - Citizen Science.pdf (PDF, 448.01 KB)
- Call for Action on Adaptation to Water Scarcity in Egypt.pdf (PDF, 499.94 KB)
- Call for Activities on Policy for Capacity Building - Awareness and Understanding of Climate Change In Ethiopia.pdf (PDF, 447.95 KB)
- Call for action on flood management in the city of Cotonou (Benin).pdf (PDF, 410.86 KB)