The Global Innovation Fund
The Global Innovation Fund (GIF) invests in social innovations that aim to improve the lives and opportunities of millions of people in the developing world.
GIF is a unique hybrid investment fund that supports the piloting, rigorous testing, and scaling of innovations targeted at improving the lives of the poorest people in developing countries. Through GIFs investments, GIF supports a portfolio of innovations that collectively open up opportunities and improve the lives of millions of people across the developing world.
Applying for Funding
GIF accepts applications on a continuous basis, with no deadlines or ’rounds’ of funding. In addition to this open application window, GIF actively seeks out investments. GIFs review process is highly selective and rigorous, and less than 10% of applicants are invited to submit full proposals.
- Pilot: Your innovation is still in an early phase. You are testing core assumptions around operational, social and financial viability. The maximum we can fund per pilot is $230,000 USD.
- Test and Transition: Your innovation has completed initial testing and is now transitioning to larger scale. You have some information on your operational, social and financial viability. You want to solidify this before you scale. The maximum we can fund per intervention is $2.3 million, although the average investment size is smaller.
- Scale: Your innovation has solid operational, social and financial viability. You have strong evidence that my innovation improves the lives of those living on less than $5 PPP per day. Now you want to replicate your innovation in new countries and context, reaching millions of people. The maximum we can fund per innovation is $15 million, although the average investment size is much smaller.
The fund welcomes innovations that address any major development challenge in any developing country:
- Organisation type: Anyone may apply, including social enterprises, for-profit companies, non-profit organisations, government agencies, international organisations, and researchers in any country.
- Sector: GIF is open to funding innovations in any sector as long as you can show that your innovation improves the lives of those living on less than $5 PPP per day, especially less than $2 PPP per day
- Location: GIF funds innovations implemented in developing countries
For more detailed information, and to apply to GIF, see the following link: https://globalinnovation.fund/apply/steps/understanding-the-application-process/